GUATEMALA CITY NORTH MISSION February 2010 - 2012
STAY STRONG AND KEEP THE FAITH ~ Elder Smith's Motto
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121:7-8

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Inspiration from the scriptures

Hey there all of you!
Yes, it has been mentally hard not to be able to do the work that I was assigned to do. My pain has gotten worse since they did the procedures last Thursday, but it is much much better than last Friday night when it was the worse ever. I will do whatever I can to stay out here. But I will always stay honest to the doctors and everybody to be able to figure out what is going wrong. Right now the pain isn’t too bad, it was worse when I woke up. Sleeping on my side isn’t a very good idea...But that is kind of how it has been. Some days I have low amounts of pain, others I have a lot more. It’s weird to me. Yes they did both an endoscopy and a colonoscopy and found nothing....My next appointment with the doctor is on Tuesday, July 5th. I will tell him about getting a....tomografía....if nothing appears after that we will see what happens. I know everything will be alright and that the Lord's will shall be done. It is just going to take a little bit more time. Hopefully not too much longer though. It has been nearly a month now since I have been sick! But hopefully we can get it figured out here, if not...well it’s in the Lord's hands

Those are pretty amazing stories that you told me about those sicknesses and recoveries happening. I am definitely growing closer to the Lord and realizing many different things about my life and things like that. This week I was prompted a couple specific times to open my scriptures. I have been praying a lot to know the will of the Lord for me and what I must do. The scripture I turned to was Alma 20. As I read, these verses stood out to me.

14Now the father of Lamoni commanded him that he should slay Ammon with the sword. And he also commanded him that he should not go to the land of Middoni, but that he should return with him to the land of Ishmael.

15But Lamoni said unto him: I will not slay Ammon, neither will I return to the land of Ishmael, but I go to the land of Middoni that I may release the brethren of Ammon, for I know that they are just men and holy prophets of the true God.

What I got from that is that Satan has been tempting me to give up and putting desires in my heart to just simply go home. But this scripture helped me understand that I cannot go home, unless the circumstances require. And if I do, I must come back to the land of Guatemala that I may release my brethren from evil and continue to preach unto them this great gospel that they may be saved.

I was also prompted to read D&C 76. I couldn’t sleep from my pain and from thinking too much so I felt that I should read the scriptures. To not wake my companion, I went into the bathroom so I could have light while I read. This is what really hit me as I got to verse 11....This section was written from inspiration received by Joseph Smith and Sidney Rigdon on February 16, 1832. It wasn’t just coincidence that I opened to read this section. That day is the very day I am scheduled to end my mission. February 16, 2012. Whatever happens I will not have my mission ended until that day. I have really been trying to know what to do. And now, I think I know.

Dad, that is just amazing that you were prompted to read and ponder Mosiah 15 and tell me what it means to you. Because that was another scripture I was prompted to read this week. I opened straight to Mosiah 14 after getting the prompting to read it. Mosiah 14 is all about the Atonement (also in Isaiah). It helped me realize that Christ knows my suffering. I felt prompted to continue to read chapter 15 and then stop. That same scripture came to my mind as well (Mosiah 15:16-18) but I also didnt know what it meant. I am grateful for the Spirit working on you so that I am able to now know what it means for me. Thank you so much for sharing that with me!!

I remember that part of my patriarchal blessing as well. It makes me wonder what exactly the Lord has planned for me to do after my mission. I know this is preparing me for that time right now. It has really made me think...What do you think that could mean?

I have written down little details of what has happened in my agenda, since my journal is sitting on my desk back in Tanchi.

President Watts is truly amazing. The day he came in the Spirit just testified of his calling. He is a great man and perfect to lead the Lord's work in this part of the world. He and is wife are really loving and have really shown their love to me in this tough time.

I am jealous of you guys celebrating the 4th of July. You better make those explosions extra big for me! I hope you guys have fun! Well that is all for this week. Hopefully I will be able to send you a medical update here soon. I love you all and I hope you have a great 4th and a great week.
God Bless America!
Que Dios Bendiga los Estados Unidos
Li Yos Chihosob'tesinq re los Estados Unidos
Stay Strong
Keep the Faith
Love Elder Jordan Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment