GUATEMALA CITY NORTH MISSION February 2010 - 2012
STAY STRONG AND KEEP THE FAITH ~ Elder Smith's Motto
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121:7-8

Monday, July 11, 2011

I am eternally grateful to our Father in Heaven for giving me the opportunity to serve amongst the Q'eqchi' people

Hey folks!
Well this week wasn’t the best week. It was really rough trying to get out to work. That was kinda frustrating, but other than that, it went well. I am super glad to have been able to go back to Tanchi and see those people for the last time and to maybe speak their language for one of the last times. One member I will never forget. His name is Hno. Erik. He is just amazing. He has helped us as missionaries in those few days I was actually in the area more than any other member has throughout my whole mission. He is just always willing to help and just a great loveable man who always wants to do what is right. He is super funny too. Ha when I got back he asked the name of my sickness. ''K'a'ru xk'ab'a' laa yajel?'' I said I didnt know. ''Ink'a' ninnaw k'a'ru xk'ab'a'.'' then he said ''BASURA xk'ab'a' laa yajel.'' Haha it was just really goofy how he said. Something I will never forget. Those people are just so humble and fantastic. His family prepared a caldo just for me since I was leaving. They really don’t have that much, so I am forever grateful to them. Hno. Erik cried when I left his humble home. I was only there for a short time...It just amazes me. I am eternally grateful to our Father in Heaven for giving me the opportunity to serve amongst the Q'eqchi' people.

At church this past week, in sunday school we were talking about the atonement and crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The teacher called in a little girl from the primary to tell the class why Christ died and suffered for us. It was a super powerful testimony. I will never forget that moment. Her little voice in Q'eqchi' was just so cute and her words were one of the strongest testimonies of our Savior I have heard in a long time. It was truly amazing.

Those pictures from Tank Warz are super sweet! Ha I can’t believe that Jake beat Brian. I hope Jake gives him crap for that for awhile. And just so everyone knows, I am taking that trophy next year. I am going to come up with some crazy design to put together to just own everybody next year!! I have got some ideas already. I can’t wait to have the best 4th of July ever when I am home next year!!

I haven’t taken any medication yet. I wanted to see how I could do without it all. But I think I will start it up soon since it hasn’t really proved too well without it. I will have to call the doctor tomorrow since I get back to the capital tonight to get that all taken care of. Because I don’t have the prescription....So we shall see what happens and if it helps. If it doesn’t help, it looks like we have another problem on our hands. But it should all turn out great. It’s just more annoying than anything to know that I won’t be able to be without pain for a long time. I am kind of getting sick of having a headache and being all nauseas (who knows how to spell that) all the time. Hopefully it will go away once I start the medication. I took stuff for parasites 4 months ago. I can’t for another 2 or 3 months. Plus I think they would have found parasites through all those tests. Especially the endoscopy colonoscopy deal. There is nothing organic about this sickness..Regarding disease or parasites...That is what all the tests were able to find out. Definitely in the Lords hands. President said he is praying to be able to find out the best assignment for me to have.

That’s super crazy that you guys went to Pres and Hna Torres' homecoming and saw all those returned missionaries. It blows my mind how fast the time goes! Elder Smith had just hit a year when he was with me. Super nuts! If you ever see Burden again tell him I love him! And I really hope and pray that Fast will be able to be alright quickly as well. Yeah Pres. Torres always talked like that here in the mission (switching between English and Spanish). That’s super funny that he kept it up during his homecoming talk. He is the man! They are great people. I’m happy to have been able to have served under their guidance and direction. And I just love Hna. Torres!! She really did truly love us. I will never forget either of them!

Well I wish I had a ton more stories to tell you all but that is it! I will be heading back down to the capital today in a couple hours and I will get there tonight. After that, well, all is up to the Lord to see where He wants to place me. Chances are that I go to the office, but I could be somewhere else as well. We'll see what happens. If I do go to the office, my P-days will be on Saturday, just a heads up. Well I love you all and I hope you have a fantastic week!
Stay Strong
Keep the Faith
Love Elder Jordan Smith

Nannaw naq li Kriist kixtoj rix li qamaak sa' li Awiimq Jetsemani re naq ink'a' tawanq li raylal ut li ch'a'ajkilal sa' li qayu'am. Nannaw naq a'an aj Kolol qe ut rik'in qapaab'ankil chiru, naru taqanumta rajlal ch'a'ajkilal li wanq qik'in. Osob'tesinb'ilo xmaak naq wan li k'uub'anb'il na'leb re li kolb'a-ib' ut li qanawom chirixeb' li k'a'aq re ru tento taqab'aanu re naq toosutq'iiq rik'in li Yos chirix li yu'am a'in xb'aan li ruxtaana li Jesukristo. Ninye li waatin a'in sa' xk'ab'a' li Jesukristo, aj Kolol qe. Amen
A big thank you to Elder Shawn Turek (returned June 2011) who emailed me this translation: "I know that Christ atoned for our sins in the Garden of Gethsemane so that there isn't pain and difficulty in our lives. I know that He is our Savior and if we believe in Him, we can overcome all of our difficulties. We are blessed because of the Plan of Salvation and our knowledge of the things that we must do to return with God after this life thanks to the grace of Jesus Christ. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior, amen."
It is a little awkward-sounding being translated into English, but I hope that helped!

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, I am glad that Jordan got the chance to go back to Tanchi, but I am happy that he will be close to President and Sister Watts for a while. I love how he ended his letter with his testimony in Q'eqchi. Even though I can't read it, I can feel it! What a great kid!

    Love you,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete