GUATEMALA CITY NORTH MISSION February 2010 - 2012
STAY STRONG AND KEEP THE FAITH ~ Elder Smith's Motto
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121:7-8

Monday, May 23, 2011

I saw Jesse today!!

HELLO!!
I'm doing good! It was a good short week, since we got back so late from Zone Conference up in Senahu. All is well.

I was able to see Jesse today! I thought that I was going to miss him but we got things all worked out just fine! It was super weird to see someone from home, but it was really sweet as well! I think the weirdest thing was to just speak in English again to someone who isn't a missionary. It felt good!

(Jesse is Jordan's uncle from Utah!! As an editor/writer for the Deseret News, he was asked by the Church to accompany an LDS Humanitarian crew working on a project in Guatemala to document the whole thing. It just so happened that it was in Senahu near Jordan's area! One of Jordan's good friends and mission buddies, Elder Tayler Larsen was able to serve as the crew's translator for three days. Jesse got special permission from the area president to see Jordan. This is what he had to say about his visit with Jordan!)
"I saw Jordan for about 10 minutes today. He looks great. The rest of the crew with me remarked on how healthy and happy he looks. I met him in Teleman. It was P-Day and the zone was meeting at a gas station to go up to an activity in another city. A canadian buffet I think. I took some pictures and shot some video of Jordan talking about his mission so far. We weren't able to talk that long because they had to catch the bus. But he looked awesome and it was really fun to see him. I can't wait to show you all the video when I get back."

That big family of 8 that I was telling you about, we found out is actually 2 families that live together. But it was going good until Sunday. We went and passed by their house so that they would go to church with us. With what they said, some of them will never go to church, they don't want to change. But one of them, xCristina, she is 22. I could really tell that she felt the spirit when we taught them. I told her, "I know that you have received an answer that our church is true." She said that I was correct. I then just simply invited her to come to church whenever she could. She wants to, but her family won't really allow that to happen. I know that she will be able to hear and accept this message after this life. She has a willing heart but is not allowed because of the position she is in. We are going to go by again this week and try to figure out what we can do for them. Hopefully it improves. (the x on Cristina's name is not a typo. It is what you put in front of women's names in Q'eqchi').

We did find another family of 8 people though! The parents and 2 of the kids are of age to be baptized. The kids are ages 11, 9, 7, 6, 4, and 3. We have only taught them once. They were out of town this last Sunday, but they said that they don't attend any church very regularly, so that looks promising. But time will tell. They are really nice and cool so I hope we will be able to help them progress.

Just one of the many dusty roads that we travel on each day:

Another shot of Tucuru: (notice the sweat dripping off his arm!)

I will have to take more pictures of the city streets, but here are some that I took today from our zone activity up in Ch'ulak, where E. McPhee is right now. It's beautiful up there! I really miss the mountains. One of the churches up there, as you can see, is really nice!!! It looks like an American chapel, just without carpet. It's so cool to see that grand edifice between all of the stick houses and things like that up there.

If you send me the Conference Ensign, maybe you could also include just a few pics from Jake's prom or something.
Well that's all I really have for you this week! I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week!
Keep the Faith
Stay Strong
Love Elder Jordan Smith

1 comment:

  1. Hello! My name is Kelli Yates. My friend Kerri Sehestedt who is in your ward told me about your son serving in Guatemala. My son received his mission call to Guatemala as well. He goes into the MTC June 8th and he will be serving in the Guatemala City Central Mission. I would love to keep in touch and share pictures and stories. My email address is kj26.2@hotmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete