GUATEMALA CITY NORTH MISSION February 2010 - 2012
STAY STRONG AND KEEP THE FAITH ~ Elder Smith's Motto
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121:7-8

Friday, February 12, 2010

Setting Apart

I won’t lie, Tuesday and Wednesday were THE hardest days of my life. The farewell and family parties were happy celebrations and I made it through them just fine. But when he got set apart and we knew we had less than 24 hours left with him, it hit our family really hard. He picked up his 15 year old brother from school on Tuesday and took him out for a smoothie together. That started the nonstop tears for me. Seeing my boys together like that for the last time in two years.

In between our final packing and setting apart, my mom made us an authentic Guatemalan dinner the night before he left. It was incredible. I know Jordan won't be eating that good all the time, but it's nice to know that he is familiar with the food a little bit and enjoys rice and beans (for now anyway).

After dinner, he handed over his cell phone to his girlfriend (she doesn’t have one so she’s using his while he’s gone), typed his goodbye on his blog and facebook page, and put on his suit it preparation to meet with our Stake President that night.

President Lew, Elder Smith, Bishop Estes

Jordan changed demeanor almost instantly. He became very quiet, humble, obedient, and a little withdrawn…..all qualities that are NOT Jordan. His setting apart was so beautiful and he received an amazing blessing.

Then it hit all of us! His brother and sister cried for the first time. He and his sister have pretty much existed together, but haven’t really been close for a few years. When he saw tears well up in her eyes, he hugged her the longest out of all of us. It truly melted my heart. But to see my boys hug and cry together just about broke it.

Later that evening, he asked for his phone back for about 1 minute and gave it back. I later saw on my phone that he had sent me one last text that said, "I love you mom."

No comments:

Post a Comment