GUATEMALA CITY NORTH MISSION February 2010 - 2012
STAY STRONG AND KEEP THE FAITH ~ Elder Smith's Motto
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121:7-8

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ONE YEAR, UN AÑO, JUN CHIHAB' WHOO!

Hey there all you crazy folk back in the blessed United States of America!!
My new companion is Elder Rodriguez from El Salvador. My companion is good, but he doesn’t know Q'eqchi' very well though. He has been here in Polochik longer than me, but I have to teach pretty much everything. So I guess it will be a good learning opportunity for me. Hopefully I will learn really fast! He has 19 months in the mission. He played soccer before the mission and he was on the selection team for the Olympic team of his country. So he is a good athlete so we get along in that sense. It will be a good change I think. As long as he wants to work hard, because he has a lot of time out here so hopefully he doesn’t get too baggy. But I don’t even know who is Senior companion. It kinda seems like I am because I know more Q’eqchi' than him, which is ridiculous since I have been here for only 2 changes, but we shall see what happens. The work has been good so far, so I have a positive outlook on this change!

Oh and by the way, if you don’t know already, Elder Fast and Elder McPhee entered the Chik this last change!!! Sick right?!

That’s super crazy that the Packers pulled it off. I thought the Steelers were gonna take it for sure, but turnovers always kill you I guess. Mom, don’t you even joke about the Super Bowl being a waste of 4 hours. If I had seen that, it would have been the best 4 hours of my life!!! Ha ha ha!

Have fun celebrating my Hump Day with all your missionary parent friends. Ha, you would go out to dinner and eat good food for us. Enjoy it for me! I don’t know how I’m feeling about it. It’s kind of like another day, just that I can now say that I have been out here a year. I really won’t be old in the mission until I hit around 18 months. But it is still super crazy!!!

So my 2 week no bathing spree and 1 1/2 week darkness living style is over thank goodness! And I can eat my crappy food again instead of my really crappy food because our fridge works again with the power working again and all! Well, for the last two weeks we just bought water at the tiendas and stuff like that and studied by candlelight at night. But all is back, we have water and power now. So I am super stoked about that!

Yeah, I did get the black package, it was so legit. Thanks! But I think I will have to cut the red ribbon when I hit a year, it takes a long time to get pouch up here and I don’t know if I can wait to get my red package. So I am cutting it off on Thursday and opening up my ribbon box finally! Sorry I’m not going to wait. Ha ha! (I will post the whole color package description with pictures later this week.)

Ok, before I tell you little bit about the week, I thought I would share what I learned this week. I thought Dad might like it. Presidents Spencer W. Kimball, Joseph F. Smith, and David O. McKay all said that the people of New Zealand (where his Dad served his mission) are the descendants of Hagoth in the Book of Mormon (Alma 63:4-10). I just finished Alma and the Book of Mormom manual said that about these verses. I thought it was really neat because I had always wondered where Hagoth and his followers went. Now I know!

Oh and a quick question…When does grandma plan on coming back down to Guat so I can make sure I send my stuff that I want to send home with her in time down to the mission office?

Well today we are in Coban again. Elder Martino, of the Seventy, is coming tomorrow to speak to us. But today, we went to some pretty legit cave place here in Coban. But I am exhausted because we left at like 3 in the morning from the Chik to come here. But it was pretty fun, and here are some sick pictures of it.

Also I am attaching a picture of a super pilas guy hauling his leña back to the house. That is how these people live. If they didn’t go find, cut, and haul their wood back to their house, they would not eat because everything is cooked over a fire here. Crazy right!? These guys hike for large amounts of time like this to be able to have food. Just imagine if we had to endure a life like that. Do you think we could do it?

Well I wish I had more to tell you but I am really not sure what else happened. Change week is always a little bit hectic. I don’t know if I will be here in Santo Domingo for any more time after this change, but I know that this change I am going to learn a whole lot of stuff! So it will be good!

Well I love you all and I hope you have a great week.
Kawaq lee Paab'al, Kawaq eerib'
Guarde la Fe, Quédese Firme
Keep the Faith, Stay Strong
LOVE Elder Jordan Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment