GUATEMALA CITY NORTH MISSION February 2010 - 2012
STAY STRONG AND KEEP THE FAITH ~ Elder Smith's Motto
"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes." D&C 121:7-8

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

We have 2 seasons. Hot and Blazing Hot!

WHY HELLO!!!
8 Months yesterday, so crazy! It also happened on a Millennial Day, 10.10.10. Which is also exactly 12 years since I was baptized! Now that’s pretty crazy cool! It feels good being out here for 8 months. To me, it’s gone by really fast and the 2nd year is supposed to go by even faster! So I guess we will see how I feel when that happens!

I actually really want to go to Polochik and learn Kekchi. I am going to ask President about it in my interview that we all have in a couple weeks. It’s completely a language of its own, it’s crazy! But I really want to learn it. Elder Fadel is practically fluent in Kekchi, so I've heard down the grapeline. (I think he meant grapevine). I really want to learn, so hopefully I get to go.

How did your first time teaching the whole Primary go? Primary… well lets just say we have a really big primary. It is a whole 3 kids big. We also have to teach them one to two entire songs every week because they were supposed to learn them throughout the year. So.....yeah. I don’t think they are going to learn many of the songs. But being optimistic, they might learn 2 haha. So we will see what happens.

Ah finally the Cougs do something! Yeah, next week will be a rough one. I heard Utah is undefeated again so far. Hope you aren’t getting to much crap from those classless utes hahaha.

Yeah I know Elder DeGraw. He is up here in Peten right now and just opened a new area. He is pretty tight! That’s really random that you happened to go to his stake building for priesthood meeting. (Brendan and Jake went to a church building in Mt. Pleasant to watch the priesthood session of conference since we were all together with Brendan' side of the family at Jason's cabin for the weekend and saw Elder DeGraw's missionary plaque on the wall.)

Keeping $100 in my debit account is good enough. I have been trying to budget my savings money out. I will try to not spend too much more, but up here in Peten there is some sweet stuff! But I am trying to stop. After the stuff I bought today, I probably won’t buy too much more so I should be ok for the rest of the time I've got here.

Alrighty then...
First off, about Wendy. We taught her about the Book of Mormon this last week and she didn’t really have very many questions and didn’t seem as interested as usual. I don’t know what happened. And then we had another appt. with her yesterday and she wasn’t there. Hopefully she will continue to listen to us and stay interested. We will keep following up with her and figure out what happened....Kinda sad though.

However we did find some new investigators that seem to be pretty cool! So we are going to continue to work really hard with them and hopefully they will be able to understand the importance of the message that we bring. That is the biggest problem I would say out here. The people are amazing, but they are stuck in their traditions and just don’t understand how truthful and important our message is because of that. But we worked hard and had great success this week and are finding more people who are willing to listen to us. So we will see what happens with these new families we have found.

I also got your Halloween package already. I didn’t know what it was so I definitely opened it! Thank you so much!!!

I ate some interesting food this week as well. I don’t know if you have ever had Papaya, the fruit, but it really isn’t tasty at all. I had to eat that, but it was like, cooked. So its weird flavor and texture was funkier. Not too tasty. Ha but you gotta love those random days when you eat weird Guat food!! These members also made us this fish soup. It was actually pretty good, but the weird thing was that the whole entire fish was in there. They practically gutted the fish, then cooked it, then threw it in a bowl with some soup. Nicole would have definitely not enjoyed it. Haha!! The fish’s head, tail, fins, and skin....everything was in it. Quite interesting.

Another crazy event from this week was when we were taking our usual ride back to our area after being in San Benito for a big Zone Wide District meeting. We were riding along in the back of a truck when all of a sudden the driver slammed on his brakes and we hit 2 bumps. We thought it was just some random speed bump like there are everywhere. But instead, we nailed a guat dog! It was pretty intense! (Something tells me that he wasn't too sad about this)

The flooding here has gotten pretty bad. A big part of area is completely submerged. We lost like 3 investigators! No they didn’t die, they just moved to a different place. Who knows where they all went though. Sad day! The river is really high, but it seems to be going down ever so slowly. The heat has also calmed down a lot. It’s cooling down quite a bit. Well, not too much, it’s still really hot and humid but not even near what it was last change. That is pretty nice. It is still super hot, but it’s not super super hot anymore. So we aren’t sweating quite as much. It’s supposed to be winter now up here because I guess there are really only 2 seasons. Hot and Blazing Hot! Haha!!! But its makes the work a lot easier and it doesn’t make us tired as fast anymore, so that’s really nice.

Well I'm out of time. I love you guys so much! Have a great week.
Stay Strong.
Keep the Faith.
Love
Elder Jordan Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment